July Security update
The July update is here, with some new features and bug fixes all around the place.
- CalyxOS 2.7.0 - Android 11
- July Security update (2021-07-05)
- Translation fixes: No more non-English text when your language is set to English!
- SeedVault: Experimental Storage backup feature - backup and restore all your photos, documents and files!
- Aurora Store 4.0.7: Fix app installation and updates
- microG: Fix Settings being reset
- microG: Include Cronet: Fixes apps such as Google Maps, and many more.
- microG: Update to v0.2.21.212158
- Work profile: Support setting a separate PIN/Password/Pattern
- Work profile: Fix support for biometrics in apps
- Datura Firewall: Fix toggles being reset, and other UI adjustments
- Datura Firewall: Store preferred sorting order
- Fix camera / microphone indicators
- Chromium: Update to 91.0.4472.134
- F-Droid: Update to 1.13
- SeedVault: Respect Settings theme, match colors
- Updates for all other included apps.
- Updated translations for all apps, and the OS.
Note: The A2 proprietary firmware components are from September 2020 since trying to upgrade to anything newer ends up factory reseting the device.
Security update notes
- The Pixels 3, 3 XL, 3a, 3a XL, 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5, 4a (5G) contain the full security patch, as they are still being updated by Google.
- The Pixels 2 and 2 XL are not being updated by Google anymore, so they only contain the fixes to the open source components, such as the OS code and the Linux kernel. Proprietary components such as the bootloader, modem firmware, and other firmware no longer get updates.
- The Xiaomi Mi A2 is still getting security updates, but those are Android 10 and usually released towards the end of the month, whereas CalyxOS is Android 11 and releases the updates right as they're available. This means that the A2 lags behind slightly, by a month or two, in getting security updates for proprietary components.