April Feature update
CalyxOS 4.8.3 - April 2023 feature update is now available for Pixels, Fairphone 4 and SHIFT6mq
Released to stable on Wednesday, 26 April.
Devices on 4.7.x beta
We released 4.7.6 and 4.7.7 as beta late last month, and included some changes in that which didn’t make it to the previous stable build (4.8.0). We don’t usually do that, where the next build doesn’t include some of the changes made in the previous build.
This build (4.8.3) includes all of those changes, and it’ll continue like that going forward for the most part.
- CalyxOS 4.8.3
- April 2023 Feature update
- Updater: Add a new channel, called Security express
- Security express: Faster security updates, but potentially lower stability (things might break occasionally)
- Chromium: 112.0.5615.135 (latest stable)
- Firewall: Prevent apps from briefly accessing blocked network types
- Firewall: Rework VPN toggle handling
- Allow limiting biometrics to just screen unlock or just app unlock
- Fix an issue with the sensors off tile and camera
- Fix wrong charging text showing on lockscreen
- Camera: Add toggle for front facing camera horizontal flip
Fairphone 4 (same as 4.8.2)
- Update proprietary files to stock Android 12, FP4.SP25.B.058.20230318
- AptX is temporarily disabled because it’s broken.
- AptX HD is still available
- There might be occasional audio cracks
- Over-the-air Updates: CalyxOS updates are delivered over-the-air (OTA) automatically, without any manual intervention needed. However, if you'd like to manually update your CalyxOS install, see OTA.
- Security Updates: The Pixel Fold, Tablet, 7a, 7 Pro, 7, 6a, 6 Pro, 6, 5a (5G), 4a (5G), 5 contain the full security patch, as they are still being updated by Google.
- Security Updates: The Fairphone 4 stock OS follows a different security update release schedule, which usually lags behind by a month or two compared to Pixels. The CalyxOS releases for it only contain the latest fixes to the open source components, such as the OS code and the Linux kernel. Proprietary components such as the bootloader, modem firmware, and other firmware get updates as soon as the stock OS update is available.
- End-of-life: The Pixel 4a, 4 XL, 4, 3a XL, 3a, 3 XL, 3 are no longer being updated by Google, so the CalyxOS releases for these devices only contain the fixes to the open source components, such as the OS code and the Linux kernel. Proprietary components such as the bootloader, modem firmware, and other firmware no longer get updates.