May Security update - Security express
CalyxOS 4.9.0 and 4.9.1 - May 2023 Security update is now available for Pixels, Fairphone 4, and SHIFT6mq
Released to stable on Thursday, 4 May.
This update initially rolled out in our new Security express update channel, which can be summarized in four words: Fastest updates, possible breakage.
The Security express channel
The Security express channel, which first debuted in April, allows us to achieve two major goals:
- Ship AOSP’s security updates faster, for users who want to receive security fixes as quickly as possible, even in the face of possible bugs.
- With your help, catch and fix bugs that appear after merging security updates, before they reach the Stable channel.
Promotion to Beta and Stable
- Most of the time, Beta will get the update in a few hours after Security express. Sometime it may be delayed if there’s major issues, however.
- Builds are bumped to stable after ample feedback from Beta and Security express, usually in a day or two.
Updating via Security express
- Open the Settings app on the phone
- Scroll down and tap System, then System update settings
- Tap Release channel, and select “Security express”
- You can tap “Check for updates”
- If it doesn’t do anything, make sure to check the “Permitted networks” setting
- CalyxOS 4.9.0 and 4.9.1
- May 2023 Security update
- Chromium: 113.0.5672.61
- Fix certain VPN apps not working correctly, such as AdAway
- microG: Fix some free apps not launching, such as PC Optimum
- F-Droid: 1.16.3
- Don’t allow using Bromite System WebView, fallback to Android System WebView
- Aurora Store search isn’t working. For more details and a workaround please see https://t.me/AuroraSupport/322523
- Mullvad VPN with “local network sharing” doesn’t work. Will be fixed in the next build, for now you can turn it off.
- Over-the-air Updates: CalyxOS updates are delivered over-the-air (OTA) automatically, without any manual intervention needed. However, if you'd like to manually update your CalyxOS install, see OTA.
- Security Updates: The Pixel Fold, Tablet, 7a, 7 Pro, 7, 6a, 6 Pro, 6, 5a (5G), 4a (5G), 5 contain the full security patch, as they are still being updated by Google.
- Security Updates: The Fairphone 4 stock OS follows a different security update release schedule, which usually lags behind by a month or two compared to Pixels. The CalyxOS releases for it only contain the latest fixes to the open source components, such as the OS code and the Linux kernel. Proprietary components such as the bootloader, modem firmware, and other firmware get updates as soon as the stock OS update is available.
- End-of-life: The Pixel 4a, 4 XL, 4, 3a XL, 3a, 3 XL, 3 are no longer being updated by Google, so the CalyxOS releases for these devices only contain the fixes to the open source components, such as the OS code and the Linux kernel. Proprietary components such as the bootloader, modem firmware, and other firmware no longer get updates.